We also started a series of printmaking projects! We did a very simple styrofoam print first (which is what is pictured here) because some students haven't done printmaking for a few years, if ever! The first step was to learn how to print with ink, so the students printed a blank background using their styrofoam block. They then chose an animal image that the drew onto their styrofoam. They cut away the blank background (so that the first color layer would show) and printed over top of their blank backgrounds. The third step was to choose a small piece of their animal to print in a third color. THIS step did not work out so well...so I had students try it once on one of their good print, but not on all of their prints. They were getting messy and not printing well, so I didn't want them to ruin ALL of their prints, thus we only did one with a third color. We are currently working on linoleum prints, which I will get to post about soon!
My drawing class began the quarter with learning about different drawing exercises. We practiced for quite a few days before diving into our first project which was a broken-up still life. Student had to bring in an object that they would then draw over and over on their paper that was broken up into 5-7 pieces. They were to focus on drawing the object that they were observing, value, and composition (looking at different parts of the object, turning it, drawing it from different angles, etc). We also drew "Handscapes" where the students had to draw their own hand and then turn that into some form of a landscape. They could color them or add value with pencil.